-
June 15th, 2004, 11:17 PM
#1
Inactive Member
Hello all: I have three small pewter-like photo frames that are new and in an American Girl box. They have a sticker on the back of each that says "Made in Taiwan Especially for Pleasant Company". There is a pewter-type ribbon at the top of each with a pearl embedded in the center. Does anyone know what doll they are from and if so, are they retired and what are they worth? Thanks!
Gret
-
June 16th, 2004, 12:24 AM
#2
Inactive Member
could it maybe be something from hallmark? that's my only guess. i don't remember seeing anything like that in any of my old catalogs. but i'll have to look through them again to make sure.
meg
-
June 16th, 2004, 12:32 AM
#3
Inactive Member
I called American Girl and the lady to whom I spoke suggested the same thing. However, they are in an American Girl box and I was told that the box should also have "Hallmark" on it somewhere. Also, the sticker on the back says "Made especially for Pleasant Company" so this stumped them!
Gret
-
June 16th, 2004, 12:52 AM
#4
Inactive Member
they sound like Samantha's picture frames from Hallmark.
-
June 16th, 2004, 02:13 AM
#5
HB Forum Owner
Oh, wowie...I think I can finally help with a mystery items post! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
These are frames that were made for Sam's Club. They came with another item...a family-tree/family memories type album for girls to fill out. They really pre-date American Girl and Hallmark's collaborative products effort.
To see if these are the same thing you mentioned, you can check out my Molly display, which is the second photo on this page:
http://www.angelfire.com/mi/FAST/molly.html
Are they the same as the two frames on the right? (I flipped the stand on the oval one, so that's why the ribbon is on the bottom.)
As to value...well, they were a premium and weren't for the historical girl dolls nor related or tied in to any specific character. I don't know how much you could get for them. They're fun to use, though, for doll displays! The drawings of "family and friends" in the front of the AG books are just the right size. I think they're a great find!
<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ June 15, 2004 11:33 PM: Message edited by: Melissa ]</font>
-
June 16th, 2004, 04:20 PM
#6
HB Forum Owner
They were for Pleasant Company/American Girl! [img]biggrin.gif[/img] I didn't make it clear that they are AG items. Sam's Club was selling them in a set along with other American Girl products. Sam's Club used to have very special American Girl sets; I bought two tin sets from them over the years. The deals were just unbelievable (with the other one I got a baseball cap, party book, CD-Rom (American Girl's Premiere), and membership into their old newspaper club for $5!). Unfortunately, I haven't seen unique items/tin sets at Sam's since the team-up with Hallmark. [img]frown.gif[/img] Here's more about it (I dug out my set) :
The tin is very large (the size of a large format book) and hinged on top. It says "An American Girl's Keepsake Box." The girls featured on the cover are: Felicity, Josefina, Kirsten, Addy, Samantha, and Molly. (The item pre-dates both Kit and Kaya.)
When you open the box, there is a gold-cord wrapped around a large paper "family tree" for girls to fill out.
There is also "An American Girl's Memory Book." The book is completely empty and originally retailed (not through Sam's Club, since they sell things on special) for $8.95.
Under that was "An American Girl's Family Album." This book was to be filled out by grandma, mom, and daughter. It retailed for $7.95.
A pen also came with the set.
The frames were a premium (freebie) that came with this set. They were boxed and labeled, as you have mentioned.
Having seen them in person, I think they're cute, but they were a freebie. Another thing is that the "glass" is just a thin plastic film. Maybe $1-2 each? But you never know what people will be willing to spend. I just don't think these would be highly sought-after since they were a Sam's Club special. Most people wouldn't know what they are or even that they're genuine AG items. Those who do know might know they're part of a missing set and most people who are big on collecting seem to pay big money only for complete sets. You do have all three frames, but they came with a lot of other things.
Even though I won't sell mine, if you do end up selling them, let me know because I'd love to see how much they go for! They really are cute frames, and they sound like the real McCoy to me!
<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ June 16, 2004 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Melissa ]</font>
-
June 16th, 2004, 04:37 PM
#7
Inactive Member
Thanks for all of your help. If I sell them, I will let you know.
Gret
-
June 16th, 2004, 04:44 PM
#8
HB Forum Owner
Gret...oooh! I just checked eBay and American Girl's Hallmark frames are being sold for around $5-6. Maybe you could get more for them than I thought.
-
June 16th, 2004, 06:10 PM
#9
Inactive Member
Where did you find them? I did a search for current and sold items and nothing came up!
Gret
-
June 16th, 2004, 06:47 PM
#10
HB Forum Owner
They're not the same frames...but if you do a search for American Girl frame some of the Hallmark ones will show up.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks